Friday, April 29, 2011

Weary But Worth It

I think the title sums up my week pretty well.  After one day of classes on Monday, I and about a dozen other stuff members and the second grade (think juniors in high school) headed off for a class trip to Jeju Island off the southern coast of Korea.

View from the Seongsan Ilchulbong Tuff Cone on Jeju.

My trip was filled with more pictures and hellos than I could ever expect, but it was great.  I had the opportunity to bond more with both teachers and staff.  I felt so much more useful as a teacher talking with students in small groups about anything relative than trying to keep the interest of 40 students in a classroom.

We hiked the to the highest peak in South Korea, checked out a beautiful world heritage sight (picture above), saw a green tea field, a bamboo forest, enjoyed a talent show and just hung out together.

The crater at the top of Hallasan.

Green tea field.
The trip got off to a little bit of a slow start as our flight wasn't until after 2 p.m. Tuesday, so we drove to check out a beach near Incheon Int'l.  The thought was to do something interesting rather than just killing time at school, but it was cold with threatening clouds, so it didn't work out too well.  On the way to the beach I avoided having to ride on the bus with the crabby, old English teacher (new to our school this semester).  We hadn't gotten off to the best start, mainly due to his demeanor and rude comments, so I wasn't thrilled to find out he was going on the trip, much less seemingly destined to be my "buddy".  At the beach he made a gesture that I'm sure was meant to be kind, but it bothered me more than anything.  Just because I'm from America doesn't mean I eat McDonald's hamburgers all the time.  In fact I never eat them or really any fast food, and I actually like Korean food and have eaten with him previously.  He also went on to explain the most basic of things about Korean culture like I had just arrived here.  Mostly I just brushed it off, but it was annoying and seemingly patronizing.

At the beach the teachers settled down for a delicious lunch of noodles and shellfish, and what would become a recurring trend, alcohol.  I shouldn't have been surprised, but maybe because it was shortly after 11 a.m. I was caught off guard.  Chalk it up as another cultural difference, but this is one of those things that happens in Korea that would never happen in the states.  However, to be fair there are things that happen at home that wouldn't happen here.  Anyway, we had a little bit of makgeolli, or Korean rice wine, with our lunch.

Finally we got on the plane and on our way.  We got settled in at the resort, had dinner and seemingly were free for the night, which was good because I was exhausted.  I had a surprise for myself at 10:30 though as the teachers all gathered downstairs, after the students were all in their rooms, for some snacks and drinks.  Korean culture is very much about respect, so even the teachers who had no interest in drinking at least put on the pretense of participation.  I ducked out after not that long to catch some sleep, as we had a big day of hiking ahead (I was a little more prepared for day two).  I retired to my private room with a bed, apparently the westerner couldn't sleep on the ondol floor like everyone else.  No complaints here!  It was nice to have a little bit of privacy and comfort.

Hallasan, the highest mountain in South Korea, is quite the undertaking.  Counting time for lunch, it took us between seven and eight hours to reach the summit and return.  It was worth it as the view was great, albeit a little obscured by haze.  The temperature was noticeably different at the peak too, as a steady windy rippled jackets and tossed hair.  At times it was like I was participating in a photo shoot at the top, as I would finish taking a picture with one group of students only to have another yell, "teacher, picture!" At the bottom the teachers enjoyed some incredibly refreshing makgeolli and delicious haemul pajeon (seafood and green onion pancake).

My calves were certainly paying the price for the hike the next day (still are actually).  Things were a little too rushed for my taste (and judging by complaints, the students, too) on our last day on the island.  The tuff cone was definitely a standout out though and the views of the coast line elsewhere were pretty beautiful, too.  After a quite sub-par early dinner we hopped on a large ferry to head back to the mainland.  Wow, did that thing really rock out on the open water.

We arrived at our hotel after 10, checked in and settled in for the night.  I didn't sleep particularly well on the ondol floor, although the elder teacher's snoring probably didn't help.  At least in the morning we hit up the sauna for some relaxation time in the hot waters.

The trip wiped me out, as I'm used to getting more sleep than the average Korean, but it was well worth it, and miles better than the alternative of sitting at my desk all week with nothing to do!

1 comment:

  1. oh my god! brent!! i found your blog!! i'm your high school student! i'm very surprised this situation. hahaha i can't stop say hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete