Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My hagwon experience

Last night I tagged along with one of my students to his hagwon, or private school.  Ki Heon talks to me probably as much or more than any other student, and when I found out he wanted to be a chef I was really intrigued.  When I found out he was actively pursuing that dream already I was impressed.

Fast forward to Monday night.  I'm on the train heading to Ansan to go to "school" with him.  He gave me a tour of the school, which is a specialty school for hotel and restaurant management.  Then we settled in for class.  On this particular night the students were learning how to make Spanish omelettes and beef stew.  First the teacher gave a demonstration.


As she was finishing up, I could tell the discussion turned to me based on a few key words.  If that didn't tip me off, the students all turning and looking at my grinning face sure gave it away.  But it was good; I got to eat the omelette.  It was delicious, although I would have upped the spice a bit.  The eggs were incredibly pillowy (I don't care if that's not a word).

Then it was time for the students to get to work.  It was quite impressive with the skill some of them already possessed.  As they worked away, I wandered around and took it all in.

Ki Heon working on his beef stew.

A student multi-tasking.  His omelette looked very professional.
All in all, it was a good night.  And it was interesting to see students outside of high school.  Although it was just like my first day of school in Korea, as everyone wanted to know who I was, where I was from, what my name was, how old I am...

But when it all comes down to it, who can complain about free food, especially when it's so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment