Thursday, December 2, 2010

Korean Wedding

Last weekend I had a chance to go to a Korean wedding, as one of the English teachers I work with was getting married.  I was anxious to see what a ceremony was like here, so I was a little disappointed to find out it would be a Catholic wedding.  But it still was far from a Catholic wedding you might see in America.

Bride and Groom

I went to the ceremony with a few co-workers, and we watched as the Korean priest rambled in Korean for a while before the vows and giving of the rings.  But after that the bride and groom disappeared from my view (maybe sat down?).  And a minute or two later our group left the sanctuary to hit the buffet.  I was a bit taken aback that people would walk out before the ceremony had finished, but we were far from the only ones, and when we reached the first banquet room I was shocked that it was almost full.  Apparently in Korea it's quite common to not attend the ceremony and just give a gift of money and grab a bite to eat.  Well, since the first banquet room was full we headed downstairs to room number two and snagged plates full of food from an incredibly varied and long buffet table.






And after eating we took off.  That was it.  Very different in some regards and very normal in other.  Someday I hope to catch a more traditional ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment