Saturday, July 9, 2011

I've lived here in Siheung for over 10 months now, but I can't say I know a lot about my city.  I generally don't venture outside the little circle that contains my school, the grocery store, a shopping plaza and the subway station.  For entertainment or eats usually I head to Seoul or nearby Ansan.

So when Saturday's rain broke and the sun peaked out, I decided it was time to do some long overdue exploring of my city.  I hopped on the bus and kept my eyes peeled.  It's amazing what you miss on a daily basis when you're not really focusing on your surroundings.

A little over 20 minutes after I boarded the bus I was at the shore -- Oido.  It's an area that's famous for its red lighthouse (see below) and its seafood (a fact that didn't take long to recognize).  It was great to feel the sea breeze, and the smell of salt water instantly made me want to plop down on the beach.  Unfortunately there was no beach, just mud flats that stretched quite far with the tide out.


Boats become quite useless when the tide goes out.

Beyond the fish vendors and the lighthouse is a multitude of seafood restaurants.

Searching for shellfish.

 After walking around for a while and checking out all the varieties of seafood for sale, I decided to move on to Okgu Park.  I think this is the same park my sister stumbled upon while running, but now that I've been there I don't understand exactly how she got there!

Headed to the top!
This park is huge!  It includes not only the peak lookout but plenty of areas for sports (basketball, soccer and skateboarding to name a few), a well-manicured flower and shrub garden, numerous small pagodas and even a foot massage course (?).


Apparently if you walk barefoot over all these different wood and stone contraptions it's good for your feet.
I wasn't really in the mood for a hike, but I wanted to see the view from the top, so I set out.  To my surprise it was like a 10-minute jaunt to the peak.  I wish it would have been a little more clear, but the effort was worth the work.

Siheung  




It was a nice, relaxing afternoon, but in retrospect I wish I would have ventured out more this year.  But you can't go back, so it's time to take advantage of the time I have left.  Subtracting my vacation, I only have three weekends left in Korea.  It's hard to fathom.  Time is going to fly.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it to Oido. I don't think that's the same park I found, though, b/c my lookout wasn't so close to the water. If you cross the main highway and take a left and run for about 20 minutes, you'd pretty much run into it. :)

    ReplyDelete