Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Nobody likes me, everybody hates me

Guess I'll go eat worms,
Long, thin, slimy ones; Short, fat, juicy ones,
Itsy, bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms.

Down goes the first one, down goes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm.
Up comes the first one, up comes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm.

No, I didn't eat worms.  But yesterday I did probably eat the closest thing to worms that I ever will ingest.

San Nakji (live octopus)

It was surprisingly pretty good, although I have to admit that the nakji itself didn't have a lot of taste; most of the taste was supplied by the salty sesame sauce that prevents the octopus from sticking to your throat if you accidentally swallow it.  So, not surprisingly, the key is chewing!  But san nakji is easier to chew than many varieties of cooked nakji I've had.  I guess it makes sense, but it was a shock to me.  Check it out:



We also had a smorgasbord of other creatures from the sea, including snails, clams, other shellfish and steamed shrimp, along with a spicy soup that transformed over the course of the meal from its original spicy character to a rich and hearty, stew-like concoction.  Let's just say that food was not at a premium.  My friend Pat and I left with full bellies and vows to come back, even if not for the nakji!


No comments:

Post a Comment