Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Friday surprise

Friday was just chock full of surprises.

Coming out of school, I was planning on going home to change, run to the store and go meet a friend, but that all changed when I came out of the building and saw a baseball game going on.  I went over to say hello to some of my students and watch.  Well, next thing you know, they want me to play.  So, I quickly change my shoes and step up to the plate dress pants and all.

I had a blast, and it was a great way to get to know some of my students better.  Most of them have a long way to go baseball-wise, but they had fun.  And for those of you wondering, of course my team won.  I'm not trying to brag or anything, but someone I know may have had a couple triples, a double and a single.  On the single, probably actually an error, I collided with the first baseman, who got in the base path on an errant throw, and went flying through the air, tumbling to the ground in my khakis!

After the baseball game a few of us moved on to basketball.  Between squats at the gym on Wednesday and baseball, my legs were gone, but it was still fun to play again.  But dribbling on dirt/gravel is a challenge, and my teammates didn't quite understand didn't play any defense. 

After the game concluded I went home, showered and headed to the store to pick up some much needed groceries.  On the way back I overheard someone talking on the phone in ENGLISH!  Somewhat shocked, I went over to say hello and found out this guy, Justin, lives directly two floors below me.  And his friend, Bonnie, lives right across the street.  Strangely in two months I've never run into either of them.

To make a long story short, he invited me to dinner, and considering I hadn't eaten a proper meal I thought why not.  It turns out he was meeting up some others, some of whom I had already met!  What an interesting way to start the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment