Saturday, October 23, 2010

My first real Korean hiking experience

After my interesting Friday night, I was very much looking forward to Saturday's hike with many of my fellow teachers.  The weather was fantastic, and it definitely lived up to all my expectations.

So after meeting at Geumjeong Station, we made our two-plus hour trek south to Youngbongsan.  It wasn't an incredibly tall peak, but it was quite steep.


I hiked most of the way with a couple teachers that I just officially met.  One is a Korean teacher and the other a social studies teacher.  That may have been the best part about the day.  I have been wanting to get to know more of the teachers, and Saturday gave me a great chance to do just that.

Once we reached the peak, we walked down to a bit to a shaded area and had a nice picnic.  I was even given some extremely processed Swiss and American cheese.  I've eaten some strange things here, but that may have been one of the worst.  But it was a gift, so I swallowed it down, reluctantly.


My friend and fellow teacher Kwong Min finally made it to the top with sleeping daughter in tow!


Then we started making our way back down the mountain for more food and makgeolli, which is Korean rice wine.  Then we boarded the bus and started our way home.  I made a good impression on many of the teachers by making an effort to meet them and try their food and drink.

After we made it back to Geumjeong I went to dinner with one of my hiking partners and two other teachers.  It was a delicious mountain of steaming, spicy seafood and bean sprouts.


Then it was time to go home.  I knew how to get back, but I followed my hiking buddy since he lives in the same apartment complex as me.  But all of the sudden I see we are in Suwon.  We went the wrong way on the subway!  So we get off the train and instead of turning around, he is adamant about taking a taxi.  Fine with me.

We finally made it back, and not surprisingly he refused to let me pay.  I tried to pay for the bus, food, drinks, the taxi ride, and nobody let me.  Another great day in Korea!

No comments:

Post a Comment