Monday, September 13, 2010

The amazing power of refusing to say no

Before the last several years I wasn't much the adventurous type (in fact I was hesitant to study abroad in college and probably wouldn't have done what I'm doing now fresh out of college).

And my adventurous side never really stemmed into the realm of food.  But over the last couple of years I've started to branch out and try many new things.  A lot of the credit goes to my wonderful girlfriend who has prodded me at times to push beyond my self imposed limitations.

But coming to Korea I told myself that I couldn't say no to any food on the first offer, and so far I've stuck to that (and no, I haven't eaten dog yet).  Surprisingly, there hasn't been anything I've eaten yet that has totally disgusted me. Of course I like some things better than others, but overall the food is quite good.

Last night I stayed at school for dinner (it's free, why not?) and had some type of corn and crab with vegetables in a creamy sauce.  Back home it would have been something that I would have rejected on sight, but I tried it, and it was excellent. So if I take nothing else from this adventure I will have at least learned to give exotic or different foods a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment