Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Good vs Evil

Tired from my first day of school, I was looking forward to a nice relaxing night of reading followed by an early bed time.  I expected it to be hot in my apartment, but when I opened the door I was in for a big surprise as a heat way hit me.

I didn't necessarily think much of it because it is the hot and sticky season here, but after taking off my shoes I stepped onto the wooden floor and quickly found out why it was line a sauna in my place.  You see Korean floors are heated through very hot water pumped under a wooden floor called an ondol floor.

In my haste after showering and breakfast I remembered to turn off the hot water, only to decide to quickly do the dishes.  Well, needless to say I forgot to turn off the hot water!

So the rest of the night was a battle of good versus evil as the air conditioner got its first use in its battle to cool the apartment down.  I slept without blankets, and finally about the middle of the night I had to reach for a blanket.  But the floor still wasn't completely cool when I finally got up at 5:30.

The heat didn't really stop me from sleeping though as I was really tired, however the typhoon sure did.  If you haven't heard, a typhoon hit the Seoul area last night and this morning, bringing heavy winds and lots of rain.  My windows chattered all night long, leaving me quite tired this morning.

The typhoon also left behind and interesting walk to work, as I was forced to duck, dodge, dip and dive under trees on the way.  Some students and teachers didn't make it to school on time because the subway was knocked offline by the storm too.

No comments:

Post a Comment