Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My first day of school

Surprisingly I wasn't that nervous for my first day of school on Wednesday.  For whatever reason, I just wasn't.  Not sure what to expect, sure, but nervous, not really.

The day began with a teachers' meeting where a new faculty member was announced, a maternity sub was announced and I was announced.  We each got up and said a few words.  I don't think I flubbed anything too badly.

Later I had my first class.  Luckily it was with Ji Young, my co-teacher.  I introduced myself with a short powerpoint about me, my family, where I'm from, etc.  And then I opened it up for questions.  This was the part we were warned about.  Koreans don't consider the same things off limits to ask as Americans.

But I was prepared.  And I'm not easily offended, so I couldn't think of many questions I would be hesitant to answer.  So of course they asked, right away and especially because it was a class of all girls, if I have a girlfriend.  They were disappointed that I did, but they quickly forgot that when they found out my younger brother Charlie doesn't!  That was probably the highlight of day one.

All in all though I had a good day to break in since Wednesdays I only have to student classes.  In the future I will have a class for non-English teachers in the morning and club activities (newspaper and English) in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment