Friday, September 10, 2010

Language Learning

Some of you may know this about me.  I'm always very gung ho about trying to learn new languages, but I never really get anywhere.  So far the list includes Spanish, Italian and Mandarin (which incredibly difficult).

I can't really speak a lick of any of them, maybe with the exception of Spanish because I had a few years of it in middle and high school and it's so prevalent back home.

So starting Korean classes on Thursday was a chance at a new beginning.  I learned to read hangeul (the Korean alphabet) before I came, but I was still rusty and didn't really know any words. Luckily my Mandarin experience paid off a little bit because some of the sounds made in Chinese language are replicated in Korean. That may not sound like a big deal, but when they are sounds our Western mouths seemingly refuse to make it's a big thing.

Since I missed the first class on Monday, the review was new for me. However, much of it was pretty basic, but I did learn a few learn words that are useful, such as "I don't know" and "I know."

All in all, most of my first class didn't advance my knowledge of Korean, but it exposed me to the language more, which is a good thing, I suppose. Soon maybe I'll be able to speak in sentences, and, gasp, maybe understand questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment