Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Wait...you speak English!

So last night I finally ran into another fellow native speaker.  I've never been so happy to run into another American in my life.  It was great to be able to unload all my experiences and hear someone else's in person.

After work, I hopped the train to Ansan to meet up with Patrick, Sarah and Ali who all live in different parts of Ansan.  We met at the Ansan City Hall.  Luckily I had an idea where it was from going to Ansan earlier, but it was still an adventure to locate it after getting out of the subway.  But eventually I got there.

We wanted around the area a bit and finally settled on a place to eat.  Luckily they had pictures outside, so we said what the hell we'll give it a whirl.  Well, none of us can order in Korean, so we just planned to each point to a think on the menu.  However, our waitress had other ideas (probably for our own benefit).  She couldn't get over the fact that we wanted to order one thing for just one person and then other things.  So we got one thing for four people.

It worked out just fine, as we had plenty of food (tasty strips of beef, grilled and cut right on our table, along with delicious Korean sides).  But we couldn't get through the meal without a little more drama.  About halfway through out meal the part of the grill that hangs from the ceiling slacked and seemed to be having issues, so we had to get up and move to another table mid-meal, not really knowing what was going on.

We survived the experience, had fun and got to share our first few days with each other.

The subway home was relatively uneventful, but it did start raining, and of course it was one of the few times this far I didn't bring my umbrella.  So I was pretty soaked by the time I arrived home.

I finished my chapter of The Catcher in the Rye and quickly passed out near 11, only to finally get up at 6 feeling like I had a bad hangover.  I guess I'm still not ready to the time change!

No comments:

Post a Comment